For anyone who has ever traveled internationally, you probably realize that bathrooms differ around the world. The typical American bathroom – whether public or private – isn’t necessarily the model for other bathrooms around the world.
With that in mind, here are some brief facts and tidbits about bathrooms and toilets around the world – that you may find helpful, handy, or humorous:
- Traveling to Europe – The most popular public toilet style in Europe is the open air toilet – an open urinal that provides little or no privacy for the user.
- Squat Toilets – A porcelain receptacle that is built into the floor that involves – as the name implies – squatting. And come prepared – many public squat bathrooms do not provide toilet paper.
- Speaking of Toilet Paper – Many public bathrooms in France do not provide toilet paper – but instead have a bidet. A bidet is a type of sink for washing after using the bathroom.
- Bring Your Change – Pay toilets are still popular in many countries around the world. Taiwan has an interesting spin on this – they don’t charge for the toilet, but they do charge for the toilet paper!
- Don’t Jump the Turnstile – Many pay toilets have turnstiles and attendants at the entrance to keep the bathrooms clean and to hand out toilet paper.
- Bring Your Own Privacy – Many foreign bathrooms and toilets lack the privacy common in American bathrooms. Some travelers improvise by using a small portable umbrella to create some semblance of privacy while using the facilities.
- Hand Sanitizer – Bring It On! – Soap can also be a rare commodity in overseas public bathrooms – so it’s best to carry your own hand sanitizer to use after leaving the bathroom.
- Eat & Arts – With the abundance of pay toilets throughout Europe, where can one ‘go for free’? Many restaurants and museums offer free use of the bathrooms – but often require that patrons purchase a meal or a ticket of admittance in order to use the bathroom.
Call Plumbwell Services for Your Bathroom Plumbing Needs
At Plumbwell Services, we get excited about toilets – and the bathrooms that surround them! We know the value that a new or upgraded bathroom can provide to your home’s value – and to your enjoyment of your home. We specialize in bathroom renovation projects, as well as a full spectrum of plumbing and heating services.
If you’d like to install a pay toilet in your home – we’re probably not the company to call. But thinking of a new or renovated bathroom or plumbing project? Give us a call!